Monday, April 12, 2010

Reflection on teamwork and communication process throughout CG1413 and CG1102

Nearly the whole semester has passed, and a reflection on what I have been through the CG1413 “Effective team communication” module is necessary now.

At the beginning, I was so nervous when taking this module. I am not so good at communicating, making friends with strangers, or speaking loud in front of many people. Therefore I have thought that this module is just for “fun”, not to put a lot of effort on. However, I have totally changed my mind.

At week 5, I had a meeting for my CG1102 project, which was held just a few hours before I left Singapore for Lunar New Year. Actually I was so afraid of affecting our groupmates’s results, but they made me feel relaxed and not so nervous. The meeting went well and so did the project, and after all I realized that sympathy between every member is one important key to achieve the group success.

Then at week 6, I had to prepare for an oral presentation. To me, this is a “brand-new” strange experience. I have never presented in front of many people before! Never! Thus at that time, I felt a little nervous but a little challenging, just like a kid at the first time go to school. I have rehearsed with my groupmates a few times, thus I feel pretty confident when the presentation came. (From here, I actually realized the importance of preparation before making a presentation). At that time, I thought that the presentation went pretty well. Nevertheless, when watching the video of my presentation, I feel very embarrassed and realized that I have many many aspects to improve. The only thing that I can be satisfied is how I made the audience laugh. That made me feels good because not everyone can do that, and my groupmates, Shiyan said that this “made my style”. Wow!

The following weeks were spent for doing the huge CG1413 project with “The Friends of Green”, the name of my CG1413 group. At that time, I realized that Wiki was a very helpful tool for us to organize our plans for the project. By the way, I had a very great time working with my groupmates From this project, I have learnt many things from them: they were very enthusiastic, knowledgeable, punctual and dedicating. Most important, I think I have got real friends here, working with them is a very fantastic time!

The Oral Presentation 2 is about our CG1413 project. While trying to keep my high energy and humor, I also tried to speak slower and adjust my pronunciation in the presentation. Although there are many (actually a lot) weaknesses that I have to improve in future, I know that I have made good changes from OP1, and I feel I am going on a right direction.

Last week, I had the oral defense. This is, again, a new experience for me. I think although I cannot answer the questions fluently (actually I usually cannot), I have figured out how to control my confidence, and how to handle the question smartly.

Looking back at me at the beginning, I felt that I have changed a lot. I know how to conduct a meeting, how to prepare for a presentation, how to defend my idea and more, how to have effective communication with other people.

Coming to the end of the semester, I can say that although this module made many difficulties for me, the skills it gave to me are extremely useful. As mentioned above, I “have totally changed my mind”. And I also want to say thank to Ms.Brenda for helping me a lot, my CG1102 and CG1413 groupmates for working with me the whole semester!


This is the picture I used in OP2, do you remember what it said ? :))

4 comments:

Geetika said...

Good post Duy!
You summarized almost every aspect of the two modules quite effectively.
Your reflection shows only the positive aspects of your teams.Perhaps you could have written about the problems that you may faced during the two projects running parallel to each other and how you tried to resolve those problems.
I like the content in your post. It is concrete and complete.I suggest that you pay more attention on the correct usage of English while writing. This will make your write-up more clear.

Yes, I do remember what the picture said! I cannot forget how you chose to introduce me. It was really funny.
It was a pleasure working with you.
Good luck for the forthcoming exams. Do well!

Cheers,
Geetika

Le Minh Duc said...

Hi,
This entry is very complete, it nearly summarized all the aspects in both courses CG1413 and CG1102. You also do very well in telling us about which aspect you have improved after each presentation or meeting, it DOES really show your progress throughout the whole course.

There are still some rooms for improvements. Firstly, you can try tell some difficulties you faced communicating with your teammates and your solutions respectively. Secondly, because these two courses are highly related, it is better for us if you can show how each module complement each other.

That's all. It is really nice for me working with you, Wish you best luck for the final exams.

Cheers,
Duc

Michael Loh said...

Hi Duy,
I am glad that you managed to overcome your fears of communicating and expressing yourself. Besides that, I can see that not only have you have made great improvement on your oral presentation skills, there was significant improvement on your communication skills too.

It is great to see that you managed to discover and rectify the mistakes you have made. Not many people are willing to admit the shortcomings they have and work on them. Thus, it is commendable that you are constantly trying to find your shortcomings and continuously improve on them. Besides that, maybe you could comment on the teamwork and communication of your CG1102 group.

Finally, I had a memorable experience working with you on the CG1413 project. I look forward to working with you again. Good luck for the upcoming P.E and the exams!

Cheers
Michael

kairen88 said...

Hi Duy,

I am surprised to hear that you were initially uncomfortable with meeting strangers! Form my first impressions, you were amiable and easy to work with from the start.

You described the projects chronographically which I felt helped showcase your improvements in communication and helped the readers identify the events you referred to.

I liked how you cited personal examples and hence showed the skills you learned during the projects. Also, you were able to identify improvements you made in your presentation skills. I agree with shi yan that you have a distinct style of presentation that utilizers humor and allows you to connect with your audiences.

More instances where you were able to apply your newfound skills in communication to resolve conflicts in your team or to aid teamwork would have been useful. However, it was a well written post that was both engaging and fun to read.

It was a pleasure working with you on the CG1413 project and I certainly had fun during the project. All the best for the upcoming Finals!

Be Veg . Go Green . Save the Planet .
Kai Ren

Post a Comment