This fourth post is about my reflection of meeting 1, the meeting about the CG1102 project that every of us has to take. In my opinion, the project was conducted well by effort and endeavor of all of us, me, Andy and Shiyan, group C05D. However, there are two main problems we have to improve and overcome for next meetings : how to prepare logistics and how to manage time.
About the logistics, first we have problem about the venue where we should meet. You know, each of us stays at different places (me and Shiyan in campus, but not the same residence, while Andy stays outside), so we have some difficulty finding a common area to meet and to tape the video. After about half an hour finding in school, we decided to use the discussion room at COM1 basement. It is quite a good place, but when we come, we realized that we have not choose anyone to tape for us, so we had to tape ourselves. Secondly, we also had problems about the camera. Andy did bring a good camera, and so did Shiyan, but Andy's did not have enough memory, so we used Shiyan's, which had more memory but the resolution was not as good as Andy's. If Andy's camera had a bigger memory, I think our meeting tape would be much better. These weaknesses we have to fix in next meetings, to save time and make everyone more concentrate on the meeting's content.
About managing time, this is a big problem I think every meeting has to face. First, I think our group did not manage time well because we did not have a good agenda. Our agenda was so general, so when the meeting began, we started with no obvious direction, and then went around and around, while time expires. Second, we cannot controlled well about where the all meeting was going. Sometimes I knew what we were doing at that time, but wondered what was the purpose of that. It was a bit confused, so I think the next time we will have to make a much more detailed agenda, and also have to prepare our parts more carefully, so we can save more time. Our meeting was about 2 hour 30 minutes, while we intended to make our tape has about 1 hour length!
On the other hand, I think the meeting has went very well. Three of us worked together, finally figured out what we have to do and how to do them. We also decided the deadline for each person's part, so that we can combine and prepare for the oral presentation on time. If I have to say something about my groupmates, Andy is a confident guy, has good skills of presentation, and Shiyan is careful and practical.


6 comments:
Good post, you described the meeting while including your reflections on the actions and weather they were in line with good meeting practices. I was reminded throughout the post that time management as well as a clear direction is essential in conducting a good meeting. Also, you provided a clear solution such as a more detailed agenda in order to improve future meetings. Our group faced the same difficulty of obtaining the right equipment for filming as well as trying to meet the required length of the video. The portion describing the camera could be more concise but otherwise it is well written.
Dear Duy,
Preparation is very important in everything. Just like going for a holiday, you need to preparation skills otherwise you'll be stuck in the airport because u forgot to bring your passport.
In preparation, you need to delegate the task. For example, bringing of the camera. The person who is bringing the camera must be responsible that there is sufficient memory for an hr recording and the necessary equipment to film the video. Good preparation is a subset of good meetings.
I notice that time management is a common problem in a lot of teams even for mine. For my group, we write an agenda. Basically, what we want to achieve after the meetings and task that needs to be done. By having an agenda, it is like having a compass so that your ship will not drift away from its destination.
I was surprised you had a 2hr 45 minutes meeting. I hope you had breaks in between to refresh everybody up.
Regards,
Eno
Dear Duy,
Your post is good as it clearly tells us about how you felt your meeting went.It is a good thing to realize your mistakes in a team effort so that later you dont commit the same mistakes.
Your analysis of your group mates in the end proves that you know your team mates well and realize their potentials. This according to me is a very good thing.
However, I felt that in some places there are grammatical errors in your post. Overall, the analysis is good. I hope that your 2.5 hours long meeting pays off. All the best for the presentation.
Cheers
Geetika
Dear Duy,
Your post is very well-structured. Kudos for that.
As for time management, it is the chairperson’s job to clarify the agenda of the meeting right before the meeting. He also has to ensure that the team does not digress much from the agenda. Also, if you felt that the team was not making full use of time, you could have raised this issue halfway through the meeting.
Wish you luck for your presentation. Hope you do well.
Anuj
Dear Duy,
This post was well written as it shows the difficulties you faced when carrying out this meeting. Not only that, you managed to analyse the problems and this means that your next meeting should have a significant improvement.
I agree that bad time management is due to having a bad agenda. Having a good agenda is like half the battle won as the group would know what is the purpose of the meeting. I also agree with you that logistics is a factor that many people forget. A possible solution to this problem is preparation. Ask beforehand who has a good camera with big enough memory or who knows of a suitable meeting place convenient for all group members.
Good luck for your next meeting, hope it will be better!
Cheers
Michael
Dear Duy
First of all, I understand your group 's difficulty when 2 of your group went home for the Chinese New Year. I think such time restriction made your meeting not as satisfied as expected.
Writing an agenda is completely critical in conducting a meeting. It improves the efficiency of the meeting a lot because every meember know what to prepare and focus on. Also, the preparation for logistics is also important. Before meeting, we need to assure that everybody feels comfortable so they can do with their best.
Overall, I think it is better if you include some reflections about how your project went and some difficulties regarding the interaction with the rest. I think every group face the same problem when, in the first time, we do such a highly technical project.
Cheers,
Duc
P
Post a Comment